Pages

Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day!

When September rolls around, it signifies to me that fall is near which means cooler weather and MORE birds! Let them all come down.
I headed to the Bailey Tract this morning for a leisurely stroll and was rewarded with the presence of my feathered friends.....take a look....
What a nice surprise to have 4 Roseate Spoonbills fly over my head and land right in front of me.

The Tricolored Heron had first dibs in the pond and was happily feeding.

Several Little Blues were present too - juveniles, immature and adults.


Mother and daughter perhaps - the Roseate on the right is a much younger bird with its pale pink feathers.


It made me smile to watch this Snowy Egret while it was stirring the mud with his yellow feet - trying to lure some little fishes his way.....

he looked intensely focused while doing so.

A Mocking bird with a deformed bill - in my short 2 years of birding, I've seen this on 3 occasions now.

A Mourning Dove leisurely taking in the view until a Red-shouldered Hawk was heard....

then his posture changed and he became a lot more alert.

Then he relaxed again, seemingly smiling with relief.

A juvenile Little Blue Heron


The Bailey's local Osprey - chilling.


A juvenile Common Gallinule getting ready to test the waters....

ahhh.....this wasn't so bad after all.

A Eurasian Collared Dove - chilling too.

The Little Blue Heron waved me on as I left his surroundings. What a great way to start Labor Day! 

2 comments:

  1. The closeup of the Osprey is stunning. One of these days I'm going to put together a file of my favorites from your blog.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aahhhh....some of my absolute favorite birds! Yes, I agree - can't wait till more and more of our northern friends come to join us here. What a special treat you had, to see so many Roseate Spoonbills together at once.

    ReplyDelete