Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

Canada Goose in S.W. Florida

It had been several days since I visited the Bailey Tract, the weather is gray and it is misty, so I geared up and headed out.
Some of my first sightings were Blue Wing Teal.

And then.....I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this Canada Goose...wow, what a surprise!

It seemed to be comfortable in our environment - happily feeding on some submerged vegetation.

I'm happy to see this and think to myself....this weather is perfect for those fowls and I'm blessed to be able to watch them.

The Hooded Merganser is still here - the Bailey Tract must agree with her.

More Blue-winged Teal - 2 males, 1 female

A Mottled Duck

More Blue-winged Teals.

I had to return and observe the Canada Goose some more, I watched it rest while reflecting on the last time that I saw a Canada Goose .... last winter with my good friends, Carol & John ....oddly enough, at the time, the Goose had been sighted in Marco Island.


A Coot and a Common Gallinule

Checking out this Common Gallinule along the roots of the Red Mangrove.

"Well, Hello there! Might you be lost?"

"Well, perhaps....but I kind of like it here."

It seemed to be right at home with the Commong Gallinules and Tricolored Heron.

On my way out of the Bailey Tract, Jim Boughton pointed out the Wilson Snipe hanging by the shoreline.

Unless it is singing and getting flushed from vegetation, this Wilson Snipe is easily camouflaged making it hard to notice.

Well, folks, it might have been rainy and gloomy but my heart was filled with sunshine - it was a great morning being surrounded by my feathered friends.

1 comment:

  1. I like being out when it's just light rain too. That last image is a lovely clear shot of the Snipe, It's interesting to see the other waterfowl you have too.

    ReplyDelete