Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Beachside

If you read my last post you saw that it was dedicated to the Royal Terns and the behavior I observed - I felt that it was so special that it deserved its own spot. This post is about everything else that I encountered, so come along and see....
I arrived at the beach just as the sun was rising - it made a perfect backdrop for this Sargasso Mat.

Not too long ago I discussed the small capsules that had washed up on the beach and here is a perfect example of what it looks like when it is still part of the Sargasso mat. The Sargassum provides a home to an amazing variety of marine species. Turtles use sargassum mats as nurseries where hatchlings have food and shelter. The mat also provides habitat for shrimp, crab, fish and other marine species that have adapted to this 'floating algae'.

Back to shore - the local Brown Pelicans were quite busy feeding - this young one came to investigate.

An adult Brown Pelican is getting quite colorful with its yellow head and reddish bill.



Now my attention is being drawn to this seashell mat - oh my! So much to do and see and so little time it seems.

And more birds to observe - there were at least a dozen Forster Tern mixed in with the Royal and Sandwich.




There were also quite a few dog walkers on the beach and as such the birds/terns found themselves being constantly displaced.

A small group of Sanderling managed to find a spot to rest away from the 'walking zone'.

Here's a fun picture - I always love to come across similar species side by side as it provides me with more study/comparison between the two....a Sandwich Tern in the back, a Forster in the front.

A Lesser Black-backed Gull was definitely a head above the rest.

My favorite couple - the Royal Tern side by side - also note to the right, another opportunity to compare the Forster, Sandwich and Royal Tern.

More Sanderlings.

A Ghost Crab - this fellow must be in its 3rd year because his borrow was way up the beach by the vegetation.


As I passed the Ghost Crab I came upon a couple who were eyeing a Common Loon that was sitting on the sand - their first reaction was that we needed to call CROW. Before doing so I gingerly approached the bird to see if it was injured - well, this Loon did not like the fact that I was getting closer and all of a sudden he attempted to stab me with its bill - it must have been pretty comical to see me skipping and jumping while trying to avoid his jabs - good thing I'm still quick on my feet. The Loon safely retreated to the ocean.

Well, that was quite a bit of excitement for one day and I'm getting hungry....time for lunch.

2 comments:

  1. What a great blog as I enjoyed all your birds. Many fond memories of our snowbird trips in years past to Ft Meyer & Cedar Key...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being here and for reading, I'm glad to hear that you have many found memories about my areas - I do too and they sure make me smile.

      Delete