Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Breakfast time

This morning as I was finishing up with my turtle patrol - I was blessed with the presence of a Yellow-crowned Night Heron....it is always a treasure to stumble upon this fellow and to have the opportunity to watch it hunt for food. So, I knew that I might be in for a treat because he was very focused.

And sure enough, there it was....a Ghost crab and a pretty good size one too

The Yellow-crowned Night Heron is quite adept at moving ever so slowly....so slowly in fact that most of the time the prey has no idea that it's coming

Gotcha!

This is too funny, can you see that he is behind this post? can you see his eye peeking out?

I'm pretty sure that he wasn't hiding - it just looked that way and turned comical for me

The Yellow-crowned Night Heron is capable to remove the claws - one after another and I would venture to say that it will facilitate the swallowing process.

As he gets ready to swallow, I notice that only 3 legs are left....

Down the hatch....can you see that bulge in the neck...

all stretched out and down the belly it goes. You would think that this was a meal good enough for breakfast, however, without blinking a red eye - he was back on the hunt.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment