Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Just ducky - Periwinkle Park

I looked back to see what was happening last year during the month of July and in the process realized that it has been a whole year since I started this blog and that it was visited almost 30,000 times - wow, that's amazing! I have learned to recognize quite a few species of birds, visited new trails and have met many warm and passionate folks - life is grand indeed!
Though, what brings me here today is to share something different.....ducks from different parts of the world which happens to be living in Periwinkle Park - lovingly known as "the duck pond" from years back when I used to take my boys there. I may not be able to travel the world and see those species, so I feel blessed to be able to see them .... right here in my backyard, so to speak.
So, come and join me...
A female Ruddy Shelduck - from Europe, Asia and North Africa.

This Male Ruddy Duck I'm sure you recognize because it lives in North and South America.....I've had the pleasure of seeing it on other occasion during the winter months.

And these two here, one of them is seen in North America - an Adult Male Redhead and what I originally thought was a Fulvous Whistling Duck might actually be a Plumed Whistling Duck - a Northern and eastern Australia duck.


Some pretty Wood Ducks - these can be seen In North America.

A White-faced Whistling Duck from tropical America and Africa...striking!

An Australian Shelduck from...you guessed it....Southern Australia.

A colorful bird - unfortunately I couldn't find his i.d....thanks to my friend Diane - this is what I was able to find about its origin.
Abdim’s or White-bellied Stork is the world’s smallest stork species and shows the most regular migration of the storks, moving with the rainfronts through Africa. It appears in southern Africa only during the Austral summer months, usually in large flocks that seek out locust and flying termite eruptions. Once the drier winter months approach they move northwards into East and West Africa where they are particularly attracted by bushfires. It is quite a sight to experience hundreds of Abdim’s Stork dropping out of the skies from seemingly thin air, to gorge on burnt or fleeing insects and rodents.

They're baaack! This is my second Iguana sighting this past week.

A Bar-headed Goose which breeds in Southern Asia and winters chiefly in wetlands of India.

I hope that you've enjoyed visiting the ducks with me, it gives hot July a little spice to life.

1 comment:

  1. It has been a while since I have visited your blog. What a great surprise to see the many different kind of ducks. You what is better? I may be able to see some of the wonderful species in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete