Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

White-crowned Pigeon

If you had told me that I would be taking photos and writing something about a pigeon - back a few years ago ..... I would have told you that you were crazy. Haha, the joke is on me.

I was down the Keys this past weekend and I found that the drive down didn't feel as lengthy as it usually does - since my focus was on spotting birds along the way. The little cherry on top came when I sat in my son's living room and looked across the canal.....
 There was a dark bird with a white head and upon closer inspection, found it to be a White-crowned Pigeon - which is found in the keys and the coastlines in the Caribbean.
 It's diet consist of fruits - no wonder it's sitting in a sea grape tree. Don't let the sitting fool you because apparently it can easily outpace a fast motorboat.....maybe it's the sugar rush.
 Couldn't find any others within the area. It is "Near Threatened", so I'm happy that I was privileged to see it yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment