Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

May and possibility.

The month of May, in a way, signifies the summer is just around the corner and the bird sightings might be a tad bit quieter.....but.....don't let that fool you, it may very well surprise you in a nice way.
Such as a new family for the Green Heron




And the red eye of an Anhinga


Or the schrillll of a Great Crested Flycatcher

Or how about seeing a Glossy Ibis in the pond!! Now that's a surprise.



And many more Green Herons being seen - I'd say the specie is doing well.


The Juvenile Little Blue are looking dashing too.


Sometimes it can be hard to figure out how many Black-necked Stilts we have at the Bailey Tract, but today as I looked on the dike - I counted 9 of them all standing within the same area.

A bit later when I made my way to the Ani Pond, I spotted a pair looking intently for a possible spot for setting up nest.

"No, not that way....

.....I think this direction will be better.....

......see all the soft, mushy material.....

....this I think will do just fine." They must have liked that spot last year and I hope that they set the nest just a bit higher because we have rain coming. Stay tuned....more is always being revealed and you just never know when nature will 'awe' you. My E-bird List http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18384979
 

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you caught the reflection in the water of the juvenile blue heron.

    ReplyDelete