Pages

Friday, August 7, 2015

Bailey's tract - getting ready for fall

June and July seems to be the slowest months for seeing bird species and August seems to kick start the fall migration for quite a few species.
It was a peaceful morning and the first thing that caught my eye was:
a pair of Garden Spider that built their web side by side, they seemed busy with breakfast too.

This is a 1" spider which builds a large (12" or more) wide web with thick vertical zigzag pattern in the center. They tend to be in sunny sheltered area in gardens and bushy meadows.

A Common Ground Dove - small, sparrow-sized most often seen in pairs walking on sandy paths. Even though it is 'common', it is only seen in Florida.

A Pied-billed Grebe - supposedly a resident of Florida - May to Sept: local, but I hardly see them at the Bailey Tract in the summer time, and this morning was my first sighting since June.

A lady Anhinga - seemingly waiting and resting.

Little Blue Heron - quietly finding its prey.


Across the way - I ventured into the Sanibel Garden Preserve - on the path less traveled but was unprepared for the standing water - should have worn my boots!

I'm glad that I went the extra 1/4 mile because this sighting was worth it .....

a Prothonotary Warbler! He gave me lots of little peeks - here and there - just enough for a clear i.d. Here is a better view of the beauty...

And, as if customary, a Red-bellied Woodpecker was seen inside one of those nest boxes busily feeding its little brood from the sound of it.


And the day wouldn't be complete without taking a good peek at the "magic tree"....

today seemed to be a resting spot for many. My E-Bird list for today.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment