Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

A Golden-winged Warbler at the Slough

The words started to spread this past Sunday about a Golden-winged Warbler being at the Slough, more of the same was spoken of the following day....so it was with high hopes that I made my way over there this morning.
I arrived before the sunrise and positioned myself near the amphitheater to witness the rookery come alive and leave for the day.
And that was pretty amazing - to see it and hear it as it went over my head and flew toward the new day.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed this Little Blue Heron tiptoeing away - he probably didn't want to be seen "fishing" by the no-fishing zone.

I think he looks kind of guilty, don't you think? 
The Golden-winged Warbler - what a beauty! He can be seen here, upside down with head on - notice the bright yellow cap (matching with the golden yellow patch on the wing) and the eye mask - a striking fellow.

An underside view of its tail, black throat and eye mask. It was unfortunate that I wasn't able to capture the yellow wing patch but I'm happy never the less to have these glimpses.

A Red-eyed Vireo.

 An Ovenbird with its orange crest visible.
A Carolina Wren - staying put long enough for me to capture its photo.

A Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

A Yellow-throated Vireo

All in all it was a terrific day, I was especially grateful that more experienced birders were along the boardwalk .... the more eyes to the sky the better the chances of spotting those fast moving creatures. Get out there and Go Birding!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful find with the Golden-winged, France! They are becoming increasingly scarce here in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was blessed to have great birding friends on the trail with me to point it out - I feel really lucky that I was able to capture its photo - warblers and especially this guy....are super fast.

      Delete
  2. I like the way the Carolina wren posed for his picture. I like the markings of the ovenbird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ovenbird is becoming one of my favorite....the Wrens too....heck, all birds are my favorite!

      Delete