Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2016

My old stomping ground - new sighting!! Fork-tailed Flycatcher

It felt really good to get up and get ready to go to my old stomping grounds this morning. The Swallow-tailed Kites have been reported by the Post Office, so this is my first pit stop....
it did not disappoint - there they are still waking up and getting ready for the day....

one of the nearby nest had the parent sitting in, I believe the chick is still sleeping.

I made my way to the Sanibel Garden Preserve from there and I could still see that group of Swallow-tailed Kites. I then headed to the pond by the tower where I noticed a bird that had some familiarity and yet provided clues that were not at all familiar.

I instinctively knew that I needed to take as many photos as I could while I had a visual on this bird - photos are always helpful to identify the ones that I'm not sure about.

I was looking at the head which reminded me of an Eastern Kingbird but the tail is sooo long!

Once the bird flew away I started looking at my bird apps coming up empty - so I sent my photo to my friend Libby Wolff who identified it: a Fork-tailed Flycatcher! Oh My! At that point I looked forward to arriving home and to study what I just stumbled upon.

Audubon states: This spectacular wanderer from the tropics occurs virtually every year in North America. Although it is impossible to predict just where it will appear, the majority of records are along the Atlantic Coast, and there are more records in fall than in other seasons. Most Fork-tailed Flycatchers reaching our area probably come from southern South America: long-distance migrants that have made major errors in navigation. (perhaps the tropical storm is responsible) In any event, I am grateful for this rare sighting.

As soon as it departed, a flock of Cattle Egrets flew by.

With a joyful heart I walked away until I saw this young Red-bellied Woodpecker - doing quite well.....

fending for itself.


The Red-shouldered Hawk seemed quite focused.

Then, stepping into the Bailey Tract to see who's around - a young Little Blue among many others caught my attention.

A young Marsh Rabbit - innocent and trusting.

A bright female Red-bellied Woodpecker was communicating loudly with her beau.

Then I spotted an American Lady Butterfly (thanks again to Libby for this info).

Many young Green Herons are popping up everywhere.


This Northern Cardinal quickly vanished from my gaze....looks like he's been using those feathers a lot.

And the Magnificent Frigatebird waved me farewell until the next time, as always I leave the area with a huge smile on my face....every day birding makes for a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment