Pages

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Owl, Woodpeckers, Plovers, Kites - Oh My!

Boy, where does the time go?? It's been a couple of weeks since I've had time to sit down and gather up my thoughts and photos to create a blog. Since I'm so far behind - I've decided to share bits and pieces of what I had the opportunity to observe for the past 2+ weeks - so come along and take a look....
This Black-bellied Plover was observed near Bowman's Beach - soon it will change and start to get some black spots on its belly before turning totally black.

A group of Royal Terns which drew my attention, I found it especially interesting to see the different color bill - the brighter red was a sure indicator of breeding - they sure are looking elegant.

A few days later I visited the Pond Apple Trail with my friend Lisa Hoyt from Michigan. Some of our sightings were these two Red-bellied Woodpeckers....notice how red the belly is on the bird above.

A Palm Warbler all decked out with its rusty cap and bright brown & yellow plumage....soon it will reach its summer destination and will breed its little brood.

Along the retention ponds we also found this Cattle Egret as well as...

this Tricolored Heron - check its bill and legs!

On our way back along the trail I spotted this Louisiana Waterthrush....

sweet spotting especially since this was a 'lifer' for Lisa. This migrating bird has probably reached its destination by now.

A few days later we found ourselves with the Caloosa Bird Club in Pine Island - check the view from this private pier!

A neighboring pier had a little group of Dunlins and a Semi-palmated Plover.

Of course a trip through Cape Coral requires a stop at the ball field to check on the Burrowing Owls - this one enjoyed a sun bath.

Several days later and after working 4 very busy days - I was due for some peaceful relaxation and what better way to do that than head to the beach to catch a brand new sunrise - this is the tip of Sanibel island with the lighthouse on the left.

A Black-bellied Plover leisurely finding some juicy morsels for its breakfast.

The 'newer' Sanibel Pier - the only feathered friend found along the railing was a Reddish Egret patiently waiting for a hand out.

I cringe when I see those beautiful birds getting used to being fed and especially hanging around a fishing pier - it's just a matter of time before it gets tangled into monofilament and/or hooked which could cause much damage and then some.

I then got off the beach and cruised down the 'utility lane' along the lighthouse in search of some migrants going through - it was pretty quiet on that venue except for a handful of Prairie Warblers - they were busy feeding before resuming their trek north.

It's black circles looks much better than mine.

And today, a day later, I had the pleasure of reconnecting with Elaine - a visit to the Bailey Tract took us along the Ani Pond where much of the action was taking place - this Black-necked Stilt drew my attention.

We then extended our hike to the Frannie's Preserve where we located a beautiful Swallow-tailed Kite.


Seen here preening while in the company of two Red-bellied Woodpeckers.

Not too far away - its mate seemed comfortable sitting and watching.

Nearby a Pileated Woodpecker was preening - making me realize that it was the first time I observed one doing so.

Then we came across a little pond that was filled with birds - a Snowy Egret here....


A Great Egret there, a few White Ibis and...

a young Roseate Spoonbill - wow!!

At some point the feathers were flying.



What a treat this turned out to be!

Thank you for reading - stay tuned - I plan to return to the Lighthouse area in the very near future with the hopes of bringing you some migrants reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment