Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Miami and the Exotics

A new trip opportunity was presented this year - a visit to Miami with a local guide and the chances to see birds I'd never seen before....."Count me in!"
Our excursion began when we boarded the van driven by our trip leader, Ken. A couple stops along the way....Kirby Storter boardwalk and a visit to Shark's Valley - which brought memories back of a long time ago when I visited with my late husband, Tony and our two children who were 3 and 9 at the time - wow, that was 30 years ago! Anyway, I digress - we made it to Miami, settled into the hotel after dinner and got up bright and early on Sunday morning - come along and see what was on our tour.....
It is my hope that I labeled these Parakeets properly - there were so many different kinds that we saw along the way, you just wait and see...and oh.....

Surprise! We also spotted a migrant - a Cape-may Warbler.

A Spot-breasted Oriole! How sweet is that!

The Parakeets it turns out - they are very quiet while feeding in the trees however when they take off flying is when the chorus can be heard.

Some deception with those photos but I did get good views through my bins - the Red-whiskered BulBul was definitely my favorite of them all.


Several times during our journey we heard and saw those beautiful Cedar Waxwings.

And, do tell me, how in the world can a Moscovy Duck have such beautiful ducklings?

Sure, in the midst of all those exotics, I couldn't help myself but feel enamored with this Ring-billed Gull that was surrounded by those silver swirls.

A pretty Swan Goose.

Check this one out - we all stood on the side of the road with our bins on and when the Peacock started to shimmer and tremble its plumes - we unanimously exploded with ooohs and aaahs.



Then our bird guide, Paul Bithorn, took us to see the Hill Myna - another life bird for me - we watched as it strutted and showed us its 'waddle' on top of its head.

These were quite entertaining to watch....and so love-able.

Some Egyptian Goose - don't you think?

Around a shopping center we were able to find this pair of Common Myna.

Around the corner another Moscovy Duck with its little brood - how lovely to see this one that was all yellow.

A Red-tailed Hawk made an appearance and got the group into a lively discussion.

Near the horse tracks - at least 100 Pink Flamingos - not so much shrimp in those waterways.

More exotics.

and more Parakeets.




Well, as the wind blows - it's time to wrap it up and fly away back home....

A great time was had by all with memories to last a lifetime.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment