Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Black Scoters

This might be a wet and gloomy day - however - any day birding is a great day.
I took a walk along the side of the Sanibel Pier today and felt like Julie Andrews when she sangs "The hills are alive"....it's hard to describe other than feeling spiritually filled and that, my friend, is an awesome experience.
Aww...look at those beautiful breeding colors on this pelican.

Oh, what have we got here? A Red-breasted Merganser - happily diving for food.

Chocolate Brown neck, cotton candy pink eyes and butterscotch head .... doesn't get much better than that.

Looks like some Black Scoters in the background.

and the Red-breasted Merganser joined another.

Then, all of a sudden, a Willet came landing right in front of me and loudly announcing its presence....as if to say....."Here, here, I'm Here too!" and so we chatted a bit until.....

this young Pelican came and pushed the Willet right out - I was tempted to call him a bully but then

I saw that he just wanted to have some company.

I then noticed that the Scoters were coming much closer - YES!


Every other time that I've seen the Scoters, they were way out in the distance and could only be looked at through my scope - this time around, I felt really lucky.

I thought at first that I was seeing 4 male Scoters and 1 Ruddy Duck - but upon closer inspection and a look in my book - I believe that this is a female Scoter.

Aren't they precious? Soon they will leave too and won't be seen till next fall.

All good things come to an end eventually and other good things are revealed.....

Great Egret having lunch - a spunky lizard


The Great Blue Heron waved me on.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment