Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

Swallow-tailed Kites in Sanibel Garden Preserves

I spent some time this morning checking the Sanibel Garden Preserves - what was to be a short stroll through ended up being a couple of hours.
As soon as I stepped in, I spotted the Swallow-tailed Kites (5) perched in a tree - I returned to get my scope to get a better look. I watched them as they preened and stretched for quite some time - eventually the word got out in the bug buzz because pretty soon they were blessing me with their kindness and I had to retreat down the path to investigate what else was waiting for me.

(5) Swallow-tailed Kites










This preserve is rich with Red-bellied Woodpeckers.

The Kingfisher - another resident of this parcel. Shortly after I heard the Black-necked Stilts but couldn't see them - I made my way back to the Bailey Tract and looked at them there. There were two pairs present this morning.


She might have been looking for a suitable spot to get her nest going.

 Another great morning for birding. My E-Bird list for the Sanibel Garden Preserve http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17736177 And my E-Bird List for the Bailey Tract http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17736221

1 comment:

  1. Awesome birds and a great post. I love the shots with the multiple Kites! Great sightings, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete