Pages

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Ding Darling - and the Roseates

Fall is here - and low tide is happening at Ding - time to make a visit. The gates open at 7:30a.m. and there's always a line waiting for it to open and today was no different. 
A juvenile White Ibis

An adult White Ibis - I love their blue eyes.

The sunrise was casting a special glow on the Roseate Spoonbills, a beautiful sight to greet the day.



A Spotted Sandpiper taking the view in or perhaps just trying to hide from me.


The No-seeums were really bad this morning and after a while I gave up and sought shelter in my car and took photos through my windows - the result was a slightly different tint.....took me a while to figure out why they were looking different.

Ding Darling is such a special place, you just never know what you're going to see - and so many different species hang out together too! Reports of the White Pelicans came in the other day but this morning I couldn't find any.









A quick walk on the Calussa Shell Mound trail before leaving provided me with a Carolina Wren in full view above my head,

A Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher buzzing by and

an Ovenbird checking me out.

Quite the acrobat this Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher, I never tire of watching them.


 
 
 
Make sure to check this little trail, it always holds nice surprises.
My E-Bird List for today

1 comment:

  1. Great shots �� the juvenile white ibis sure does look different when they grow up. I just love the way you were able to get the reflection in the water of the roseate spoonbill. Love the shot of them taking off (wishing I was there). The way you were able to catch the blue -gray gnatcatcher flying.

    ReplyDelete