Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Bunche Beach & Lakes Park with the Caloosa Bird Club

Monday - Destination: Bunche Beach & Lakes Park in Fort Myers.
It is a sunny day with a mild breeze, the tide is slowly coming in - I think it's going to be a good day.
One of the star of the day - in my opinion - was the Caspian Tern. As a winter adult, its cap is splotchy, gray, and extends over forehead to bill....in the summer, its cap is black.

After feeding on some fish, it came over to give us great views while it was preening.

Ummmm....."nice reflection, dude."

Slowly, it began to yawn and/or stretch its massive blood-red bill, as I watched I am reminded that I have a friend who uses this color for lipstick - "nice shade".

In a jiffy - he up and flew....

and landed in a flock of Black Skimmers - trying to blend in with the rest. Isn't it amazing how its bill is the same shade as the Black Skimmers?


Just for comparison, here is a Royal Tern - notice how the bill is more toward orange than blood-red.

A high-pitched laugh "ha ha ha ha" caught my attention - sure, it's just a Laughing Gull but its plumage as it is transitioning toward it's striking summer black cap is attractive to me.

The Sanderlings on the other hand didn't seemed to be bothered by his outburst and just went on taking care of their belly needs.

The Piping Plovers were drawing attention too - what is not to like!

Several Marbled Godwits were observed - this is a favorite bird of many and I can understand that.

Clean, clean, clean.....

feed, feed, feed.

On the east side of the beach - more Piping Plovers....

these were sporting colorful bands.

After a bit, we all gathered our scopes and headed to Lakes Park.

Several Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were here and seen...as well as 

Black-and-white Warblers and a

Green Heron - staying out of sight for the most part.
And this concludes my birding adventure with the Caloosa Bird Club. So, for today, follow the paths before you and use joy as your compass.....I know I will.
 

1 comment:

  1. Wow...Looks like he had a fantastic day. I just loved all your photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete