Pages

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Home stretch - recap

Migration is winding down and we're on the home stretch now - I had the opportunity to go to the Lighthouse and to travel through Ding Darling in search of the latest migrants, this year we are not seeing the birds in great numbers which, in essence, means the birds are finding some favorable conditions for traveling north - we wish them well. 
One exception though was seeing the Indigo Buntings and Blue Grosbeaks by the dozen - that was quite exciting and OH! what eye candy they are.


A Yellow-crowned Night Heron probably wondered what the fuss was all about - however it paid us no mind and went about its feeding business.

The Scarlet Tanager on the other hand truly stole the show!

I found another along the Shell Mound and this one was sound asleep and all tucked in behind 1000s sticks, it was probably exhausted from the trip and needed some rest before resuming its journey.

Another visit to the Lighthouse and this time we found a female Scarlet Tanager....

a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak and....

a few males around the corner - they were not so generous with us and kept hidden for the most part.

This morning I returned to my ole stomping ground - the Bailey Tract - where I observed several Blue Grosbeaks and Indigo Buntings.


Of course the regulars came into play too and it was most enjoyable to watch this Mottled Duck family come straight toward me - I stood still so as not to spook them and they walked right by me.
A Red-bellied Woodpecker caught my attention when the sawdust started to fly around.


Along the edge of the Sanibel River several gators were seen getting their sun rituals, I pointed them out to the visitors and they were quite delighted to see them.

Around the corner a Black-necked Stilt was spotted on the nest, soon we will have little chicks walking around.

Those Stilts are just so elegant looking.


As I was heading out a group of Least Sandpipers landed along the island within the Ani Pond - sweet! This day at the Bailey Tract this morning turned out to be a fantastic spree - I tallied up 56 species - a record for me at this location. See my E-bird List for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment