Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Roseate Spoonbill

 This has got to be one of the most interesting bird - with it's bare light green head, long spoon like bill and it's pink color. It surely attracts a lot of attention and it got mine this morning.
 I got up very early and headed to south Fort Myers Beach this morning, hoping to see the nesting Least Terns and the Oystercatchers. When I got there - I parked on the south side of the bridge past the area and scouted the Lovers Key Park - there, in a little lagoon, I spotted one lonely Spoonbill - it was raining and dreary at the time and my photos looked washed out. When it finally stopped raining, I started the .04 mile trek across the bridge and made my way down to the tip of southern Ft.Myers Beach.
 I was pleasantly surprised  to find another Spoonbill (or was it the same one?), moving around in the shallow water along with Short-billed Dowitchers, Willets, Godwits, Oystercatchers, Least Terns, Black Skimmers, Plovers and many others.
 The Roseate made me smile as he/she? pruned and cleaned away - with its spoonbill - gathering water as it did so. Then it hoped, skipped and made it's way across the bay.
 If you look closely, you'll see that the Roseate Spoonbill is lined up perfectly between those two sets of pilings - that too made me laugh because, had I tried to achieve this photo....I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to accomplish this.

1 comment:

  1. Love the photos of the Roseate Spoonbill taking off. Great shots. I have seen pictures of the Roseate Spoonbill in pictures and I loved them. They were unique in color. I actually got the opportunity to see them in real life this past week and was able to take some photos of this bird. They are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete