Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Migration continues

The wind died down quite a bit and I wondered what would still be around the Lighthouse. Off I go.
I got there just in time to see the sunrise.


The two chicks were waking up, looking at mom and wondering when breakfast was going to take place.

A lonesome Black Scoter was swimming not too far off the pier's end.

Those two were busy cleaning up the remains that was left behind - I got busy too and picked up monofilament with hooks that was left behind. That statement of "leave nothing behind except your foot prints" should be posted on the pier as well. It's a great facility for fishing and loaded with nice amenities such as WC, water station and plenty of garbage containers....paying for parking does not mean we will clean up your mess after you leave. O.K. I'm off my soap box and it's time to get back to nature connections. 

A nice collection of migrants are still around, such as this Orchard Oriole - brilliant male.

This one I wasn't quite sure about - the masked hood with the yellow on the neck toward the wings - my friend Hugh thinks it has to be an Eastern Kingbird.

The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was still around and that really pleased me.





What a nice surprise - a female Summer Tanager.


The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was back again - along the wooded trail as well as

the Pileated Woodpecker - Dotty, this one's for you.

The male Summer Tanager was there too - what a great burst of color!

A sunshine to see - the female Orchard Oriole.


The blues were here too, a few Blue Grosbeaks and more Indigo Buntings.

A nice capture of the Yellow-throated Vireo....well, perhaps not for a "photographer", but for me it was.


The male Hooded Warbler was found in the very same area - I gather that it provides the food that it is looking for. He's a Hoot to watch even though he can't hardly sit still.


The male Indigo Buntings appeared just as I was ready to leave, sweet!


 I will return - very soon. Spring migration is truly a fleeting moment - I think I'm repeating myself....time for some rest. My E-Bird list for today http://ebird.org/ebird /view/checklist?subID=S17827304 38 species for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment