Pages

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Ding Darling's sweet surprises.

I had a few surprises this morning - first one being that the gate didn't open at 7 but rather 7:30, then the tide had been gushing in for 1.5 hour, so it was too high for the shorebirds to be around....but, hey, I wasn't going to let that get in the way of great birding opportunities - because, you just never know what you're going to find.

A White Ibis with its pretty blue eyes greeted me as I proceeded forward.

"Be on the lookout", there's more to see.

Several Immature Yellow-Crowned Night Heron were spotted along the way.

By the Tower - a Great Blue Heron, a Woodstork and a Reddish Egret ruled the island that is usually seen at low tide.

A precious Spotted Sandpiper was happily bobbing away.

"Keep on going" he seemed to say.

Aha! "This is looking different", I was telling myself as I raised my binoculars up. Oh my! It didn't take me long to recognize the White-crowned Pigeon. This specie was seen at Ding several months ago and I had not been able to locate it at that time - lucky for me, I got to spot it today.

I am also extremely grateful for my friend Gail who loaned me one of her camera outfit - because without it I would not have been able to document this bird. My camera has not returned from the shop yet and I'm faking my way through a 300mm fixed lens - a much heavier equipment than I am used to - my hat to all of you who carry these long lens around and produce sharp photo, I have great respect for you.

What a beautiful bird and a really sweet sighting!


Further down, I stopped at Wulfert Point and spotted a few warblers, this Yellow-throated gave me great photo opportunities.


This also seems to be the 'highway' for the Yellow-crowned Night Herons, here is an adult.....

and an immature. 
 
My last stop was at the Calusa Shell Mound Trail. at the end of the Wildlife drive. This provided great shelter when the sky opened up. Vireos and Catbirds could be heard while the sweet smell of the Jasmine (?) penetrated the boardwalk, I felt as if I had died and gone to heaven.  
All in all, it was a fantastic morning for birding - my E-Bird List for today

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos of many of my favorite birds! ....though I've never seen or heard of the White-crowned Pigeon - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even when you do not have your camera you still managed to take some wonderful pictures. Way to go...

    ReplyDelete