Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Safe to come out now

Sanibel has had its shares of bad weather lately with tornadoes touching down along with a lot of rain - all's well now and the water is slowly receding and with that in mind I ventured into the Bailey Tract to check/see how it fared.
As I suspected - the ponds are filled to the top...

some of the trails are underwater....how deep?....

ankle deep - good thing I wore my water shoes today.

The Pied-billed Grebes were not bothered by the extra water - I watched as they came up with food in their bill and this was my learning tidbit today: Turns out their diet consists of 'crustaceans, small fish, crabs, shrimps, snails, mussels, frogs and tadpoles - to name a few'.

The bench on the middle dike had water ready for cooling your feet if you so desire.

From the bench it is obvious that the middle islands are under water.


The grassy area by the Smith Pond and along Island Inn Road was under water this morning.

This turned out to be my bright sunshine this morning - a few Cattle Egrets - high and dry.


A Little Blue Heron and a Tricolored Heron were fighting for space to park their feet.

A Common Grackle - check those yellow eyes out.

A quick stop at the Sanibel Garden Preserves granted me views of the Red-bellied Woodpecker.

As the sun was coming up, the Yellow-rumped Warblers came in great numbers.

Sure, it may be a little wet but there's no place like the Bailey Tract....come and see for yourself.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment