Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Migration through S.W.Florida

I haven't been posting much lately, especially since my camera went into a coma. I've been out on the field with my binoculars and observing the migrants as they go through while keeping track of my findings. I find it hard not to be able to keep photograph documentation and have also realized that I missed sharing my days with you all. So, with much further ado - as they say - I am here today to share what I have seen out there while using my stock photos. Thanks for bearing with me while I patiently wait for my camera to come back to life.


Magnolias were spotted this past week - beautiful bird with bright yellow, striking black and a big black block under its tail - the perfect clue for identification.
This female American Redstart as well as many others were seen at the Six Mile Cypress Slough.

Cuckoos were seen too! The Black Billed and the Yellow Billed. The Yellow-billed has been a regular at the slough for a week now.

Reports of the Prothonotary has been reported - the last time I saw one was this past spring migration. A stunning bird if I must say so.

Ovenbirds - everywhere I go.....Bailey Tract, Sanibel Garden Preserve, Lighthouse, Ding Darling Caloosa Trail and Six Mile Cypress.

The Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers are singing their hearts out and if I'm lucky I get to see them too.

Do you recognize this "identification" spot? This is the Magnolia Warbler.

A Prairie Warbler - This little guy has dark circles under his eyes and I can identify with that :)

The acrobatic Black And White Warbler - always a great sighting as they buzzz around while climbing up/down/upside down along the limbs and trunks.

Here's a sweet Ovenbird with all its identifying features in clear view - even though it likes to hide in deep foliage - sometimes I get lucky.

A Female Chestnut-sided Warbler without any chestnut color on its side - but note the lime green above, very striking indeed. I photographed it at the Lighthouse earlier this year and got to see it yesterday at the Six Mile Cypress Slough. My photos have helped me to identify what I am seeing this fall, I don't know about you, but for me as a new birder - it's not always easy to recognize a bird that I've seen only once before.....some are easier, some not so much.

Another Black and White - creeping sideways - don't you wish you could do that too?

A Red-Eyed Vireo - they are quite plentiful at the Six Mile Cypress slough and also on the Caloosa Trail at Ding Darling.

Now, this is a bird that is easily spotted and identified - A Summer Tanager. Seen yesterday at the Slough.

A Yellow-throated Vireo, look at the yellow eye ring too.

Kingbirds have been plentiful around Sanibel - they were one of my first fall migrants to spot - coming in drove across the island. I've seen them at the Lighthouse, Bailey Tract, Sanibel Garden Preserve and this weekend they were at my house! They are seldom alone.

The White-eyed Vireo - well named, I think.

The Tuffed Titmouse as regular resident at the Six Mile Cypress slough and since they were so very present while I was there, it seems fitting to include them. I found out too that since they are so vocal - they tend to attract others, so when you hear the Titmouse, look around - you may very well be surprise to see who else is hanging around - looking to see what the commotion is all about.

A Downy Woodpecker - the smallest of them all - woodpecker-wise. This one is a male - telltale sign is the red spot on its head.

Of course, It wouldn't be fair not to include this little fellow who often belts out a beautiful serenade across the slough - who would have thought such a little bird could sing so loudly? Don't let the size fool you.

The Summer Tanager waved me on yesterday - it surely brought a smile on my face. I love migration and all the excitement that goes with it.

My E-bird List for the Six Mile Cypress Slough - I'm pretty sure that it is missing a few species since I couldn't identify them all, but either way - it was a great day - take advantage of the fall migration because you won't be able to see a lot of those birds until the spring. http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S19981160

5 comments:

  1. Frances, I love your blog. I found it because I’ve fallen in love with the Bailey
    Tract was was Googling around to see if anyone had anything to say about it. Then because of one of your posts I went to find the Sanibel Gardens Preserve trail and I love that one too so I thank you so much for that tip! Now I’m wondering where the Caloosa Trail is. I looked on the Ding map and don’t see a Caloosa Trail but I did see a Caloosa Drive on Google Maps, is that what you mean? Thanks again for all the great bird and trail info and the great photos. Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am happy to hear that. And to clarify the Caloosa - it happens to be the "Calusa Shell Mound Trail" which is at the end of the Wildlife Drive in Ding Darling. It is a 0.4 mile boardwalk loop and it is a lovely quiet spot - I even saw a Rose-breasted Grosbeak there last spring and he was gorgeous. Happy birding!

      Delete
  2. Wow-Kind of like springtime is up here-nice collection of photos you have. Hope your camera returns to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and me too - it can't be fast enough if you ask me.

      Delete
    2. I love the summer tanager bright read and the Prothonotary was very aware and beautiful

      Delete