Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Ding Darling with the San-Cap Audubon Group.

The San-Cap Audubon group had their first walk of the season at Ding Darling today - a group of 30+ folks gathered up in the parking lot. Eager birders are ready, a beautiful sunny sky and a low tide awaits....it doesn't get much better than that, lets go....
A Green Heron came and practically landed by some people's feet - what a nice surprise.



A beautiful Red-breasted Merganser entertained a few of us - dashing and diving while eating.


A stop at the Mangrove Overlook provided really good views of the White Pelicans and Snowy Egrets.

The tide being low provided several little traps which collected small fish - the White Pelican gladly moved from one feeding hole to another




A Pied-billed Grebe - a small aquatic diving bird. Their toes are lobed which makes them strong swimmers - Grebes are infrequently seen on land or in flight.

The Roseate Spoonbills - a bright pink wading bird with a long, flat spoonlike bill. Many people mistake these birds for  Flamingos.

The Wood Stork - a large, long legged bird with a bald head and pink feet.

Wood Stork seen with Blue-winged Teals.


More Roseate Spoonbills - sweeping their bill  rapidly from side to side as they feed.

I enjoyed watching this White Ibis as it passed

in front of the Wood Stork - the Stork pausing ever so lightly before resuming his feeding.


A few Greater Yellowlegs in the shadows sealed the day - a great day if I may so, looking forward to the next one.

My E-Bird List for today.








 

2 comments:

  1. As I sat here tonight looking at your bird blogs thinking about how lucky I really am. I may not be able to go birding with you, but I do have the pleasure of seeing all that you see with all your photos. I once again was got to see the photo of the white pelican. This time even seeing the way they eat. As I strolled down there were the roseate spoonbills with a smile I remembered the time we were out birding together and what we did so I could have the opportunity to take some photos...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that time too and saw a side of you that I didn't know about LOL

      Delete