Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Visit to the Shipley and Apple Trail - long overdue.

I received an e-mail the other day from the Environmental Biologist of the City of Sanibel wanting permission to use my photos during a SanCap Audubon presentation - topic: "Nature Trails" and it reminded me how long it had been since I last visited the Shipley and Pond Apple trails - so, with no further ado....let's go and check it out...
The Palm Warbler welcomed me with open wings.

The retention pond was abuzz with activities - here the Cormorants are drying and resting.

Several Killdeers were there as well....

and the Wood Stork too.

"Don't you just want to come, have a seat and enjoy the view?"

Wood Stork meet Cormorants.


Overhead I hear the chatter of an Eagle....

I knew just where to look too, as they have been using this Australian Pine for several years now.


Exchanging notes with her mate.

As I proceeded down the trail, I spooked a Cooper Hawk deep into the woods.


I reached the head of the Apple Trail and noticed changes in the vegetation - a lot of it has been removed to make way for that new bike path - with the heat/sun/rain of our summer, I'm sure it won't be long before it fills back in.

A pretty succulent and spineless plant that blooms and reproduces like there is no tomorrow.



A Dove Tree - we have quite a few of those.

A Pileated Woodpecker listening for insect movements.


The Great Blue Heron kept his distance and eventually flew off when I came around the corner.

An immature Anhinga in the forefront and an adult male Anhinga in the background.

Here's a close up of the immature Anhinga.

The Wood Storks gathered up in the middle island - smart move.

The immature Anhinga being curious and watching.

The adult male Anhinga - jet black he is.

A few White Ibis amongst the Wood Storks.

Quite striking, don't you think?

Did you notice how sharp that bill is? It is used as a spear for catching fish.

Another immature Anhinga.



A Gator - half watching me.

A female adult Anhinga.

The male is all black, the female has a brown neck and black body, the immature is all dull brown.

Some Cormorants swimming by.



A great stroll through the Sanibel trails.

 

3 comments:

  1. That's quite an honor and by looking at the photos I can see why they would want to use them. Great photos with some nice description and information to go along with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Larry. I'm heading to the lecture in a few and I look forward to see the presentation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! You took some great photos of some really amazing birds. I so enjoy looking at your blogs

    ReplyDelete