Pages

Monday, February 1, 2016

Celery Fields with the Caloosa Bird Club

It's a new day, a new month and a perfect time to meet up with the Caloosa Bird Club for a birding adventure - today's destination: Celery Fields....let's go!
We arrive early (the early bird gets the worm, you know - and the early birder gets the bird) and set out with bins and start looking. Right off the edge of those fence post - I found a Yellow-headed Blackbird mixed in with a dozen Brown-headed Cowbirds and as many Grackles. As soon as I got ready to take its photo, the whole flock took flight and disappeared down the street.

Across the way some Savannah Sparrows popped up.


Now, take this view in and see how inviting the area is.



Along the boardwalks we found several Soras - right out in the open for good looks. The Common Gallinule wished it had that much attention.


And that was the end of it.

A Swamp Sparrow probably wondered what was the fuss about.

In the meantime - "who's looking at who?" (A Red-shouldered Hawk on a camouflaged motion activated camera)

A Boat-tailed Grackle, my picture does not do it justice - it's plumage a rich and deep glossy blue.

A few Blue-winged Teal.

And a boat load of Northern Shovelers.

And up they went.


The Red-shouldered Hawk seemed to enjoy the show.

After a bit, we made our way into Myakka River State Park - this Tricolored Heron was one of the highlight.

The water levels were quite high following all the rain storms that we've had for the past two months - too deep for shorebirds.

Sweet sounds of birds raises our attention.

After doing our bird list and finishing up our lunches - we made a point of stopping along the bridge before leaving the park. A friend of mine (Hi Patch!) had mentioned that a white morph of the Great Blue Heron was hanging around - I was glad to be able to locate it.

It was a great day birding as always - way worth getting up in the wee hours of the morning. My E-Bird List for the Celery Fields, my E-Bird List for Palmer Blvd and my E-Bird List for Myakka River State Park.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed your visit! Meeting you was the high point of my week! I am a fan of your
    photos and your blog writing, and I always look forward to your posts. I'm glad you found our
    white morph heron. Hope the commute went smoothly-
    Bird On-
    Patch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi France!
    I was so happy to meet you in person! You made my week!
    Your mention of the yellow headed blackbird took me back many years when I was delivering
    the mail in this same area and saw one with a large flock of red-winged blackbirds. I looked it up and discovered they are strictly western birds. Guess that guy (and the one
    you saw) don't read the field guides. I always enjoy your posts, and look forward to them!
    Patch

    ReplyDelete