Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Ding Darling - Wildlife Drive

Several interesting birds have made an appearance in Sanibel this past week - One Brant was seen and photographed along the Wildlife Drive by one person. A Hermit Thrush was reported at the Sanibel Garden preserve, I've made three separate attempt to locate it, unfortunately it lived up to its name for my sake. And then, yesterday, a Long-tailed Duck was photographed off Colon's Point at Ding Darling. I figured three's the charm and hoped to see a new bird - so off I go.....
It was in the early morning hours and the tide was low - a perfect combo for a drive along Ding Darling. The first pond provided great views of the Yellow-crowned Night Herons.


At the Mangrove Overlook -hundreds of white birds could be seen in the distance.

And so were the White Pelicans, we are glad they are back.


The White Ibis were in great numbers as were....

the Snowy Egrets.

Some Hooded Mergansers had been reported too however I managed to spot 3 Red-breasted Mergansers instead. This may not have been my luckiest week for finding some of those sought after birds - all in all though I can't complain because, after all, I live in sunny Florida where I can still see plenty of beautiful birds, I am blessed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment