Pages

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Reddish Egret and Swallow-tailed Kites

I can't believe it's been almost a month since I last posted on my blog - life has put a few sticks in my wheel lately which has slowed me down in many venues. Today I'm regrouping following a brief morning walk on the beach and what better time than the present to compile a few of my favorite latest pics.....come along and check it out.....
It was on July 5th that I capture this Reddish Egret family - one of the parent was on top of the vegetation....


 while the young one was watching from a few feet away while stretching/practicing its wings.

It seemed to be snatching some insects here and there - most likely waiting for the parents to deliver better morsels.







The chick didn't stay up but 30 minutes before retreating to its cozy nest. According to some recent reports the chick is now on the beach and following its parent - learning to fish but mostly begging to be fed. I wish it well and also hope that it moves away from the pier area but it's probably unlikely.**********************
 Now, here I am 10 days later.....I come out of my beach walk and spot this dozen of Swallow-tailed Kites roosting along the road - I raced home to get my camera and I was glad to see that they had not left yet.

 What a beautiful sight this is! Watching them was quite a blessing and for a brief moments I was able to forget about what is going on in my life right now.

 This is now two summer in a row that I've not been able to do much bird watching and I've missed seeing the progress of a lot of baby birds growing up.
In any event, this sighting is truly precious and I treasure each minutes in their presence....soon they will depart and head south.....there's always next year, right.....well, that's what I said last year too.....go figure.
 
 And that's why it is best to live in today and appreciate all that there is in the now.

No comments:

Post a Comment