Pages

Friday, May 22, 2015

Woody's chick

I have been watching very closely a family of Red-bellied Woodpeckers - first when the pair started to excavate several holes in one of my dead palm trees, then hearing the small chatter within the cavity every time one of the parent came with some juicy insect in its beak.
Finally I was rewarded to a brief sighting of one juvenile as he poked his head out looking into the world. Several grackles showed up in the neighboring trees making a lot of noises - I wondered what the commotion was all about.
He sure was a cutie with its innocent look and curiosity.

In this 'wild' world - life is tough when there are so many predators around.

Unfortunately, this young fellow disappeared way before its time. My guess would be that a Grackle got the best of it.

Life was very short in this instance.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment