Pages

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Six Mile Cypress Slough North

Hello! It is nice to be back on the trail and doing somewhat 'normal' things, these past two months with my husband passing and following that with hurricane Irma turned out to be quite challenging emotionally and physically - however - I'm a survivor and tend to brush myself up and work at moving forward.....so here I am!
This morning I met up with my friend Elaine and we drove to Buckingham Road where we entered a 20/20 Lee Co property. It turned out to be a great outing and we managed to see 42 species, come along and take a look....
 Our first sighting turned out to be a few Cattle Egrets keeping company to this huge bull.
Atop one of the power poll, a Northern Flicker kept a silent vigil watch.

 Our beautiful road - with no cars, trucks or people - just us and the wildlife. Several Black Vultures were lined up on the power poles and we counted over 150 along the way.
A Shrike was rather vocal and paused long enough for good looks.

This House Wren on the other hand played hard to get - we could hear it but couldn't see it for the longest time - our patience paid off.

Our destination was worth the anticipation....

a Squirrel enjoying its meal while having great views from this pine tree.

A Pileated Woodpecker flew by while loudly advertising its presence,

a fine tree it chose and for good cause...

it had company - a Limpkin,

a Great Egret and a Grackle.

Not too far away we spotted a Snail Kite and of course....if there's a kite there are....

Snails....or vice versa.

On the way back we saw more of the regular residents of this property.

More bulls - they quickly vanished behind the palmetto bushes.

Well, I'd say over all that it was a fine way to get my feet back on the ground and get some birding under my belt - soon the weather will start to cool and my sea turtle patrol will be over for the season - therefore - providing me with more birding time.....bring it on!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment