Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Sunday morning beach side

Something was calling to me this morning and I decided to listen to that inner voice - it took me along the shore and I was blessed to witness the beginning of a brand new day. Come and see...
Well, I think I'm off to a good start!

A Black-bellied Plover (his belly will turn black next spring/summer - during breeding season).

A flock of Sanderlings

A Brown Pelican - an adult above and a sub-adult below....notice the difference in the plumage.


A Great Egret had his own pond along the beach


and in it he found a pipe fish.

...next!

A Willet nearby found a small crab

This yound Reddish Egret was still hunting for food.


Several species of Gulls were seen this morning, plenty of Laughing Gulls and a Lesser Black-backed Gull.

While watching the Gulls, two Black Skimmers came over to rest.



A Red-breasted Merganser swam by the shore.


Isn't this lovely? How often do you see more birds than people?

A winter adult Herring Gull



A winter adult Lesser Black-backed Gull

A young Bald Eagle flew overhead and interestingly enough he didn't disturb any of the birds.

A Third year Great Black-backed Gull - feasting on a fish carcass, partly visible is a Laughing Gull and following behind is a Ruddy Turnstone.

A Franklin Gull

A Magnificent Frigatebird - a male - recognizable from the orange throat pouch, a female has a black head with a white chest.

The Snowy Plovers are returning in great numbers, I counted 13 in front of the Gulfside City Park - one of them is sporting some colorful bands and it turns out she was banded on 3/31/09 in Sanibel - You go Girl!


This one snuggled down into the shells - look how well he blends in.

And that, folks, concludes my sightings for this morning - I'm a happy birder. My E-Bird List for today.

1 comment:

  1. You really did get some great photos. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete