Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Foggy a.m. at Ding to sunny p.m. at the beach

After my yoga session this morning, I made my way to the Wildlife Drive at Ding Darling since it was still early morning and the tide is expected to be low - the air however is filled with humidity/fog/clouds but what better place to be when the weather is iffy!
The first pond along the drive provided great looks of this Red-breasted Merganser. I originally thought it was a female but turns out the first year male looks very - very - similar. One of the clue is a dash of white by the 'gape' - information was provided by Lillian Stokes - Thanks Lillian!


A Little Blue Heron was hunkered down by the mangroves - staying warm and resting.

One of several White Pelicans - gently floating almost "swan" like.

A short stroll along the Caloosa Shell Mound Trail brought me just below this nest where a pair of Osprey was mating - quickly I turned my camera on, aimed and POUF! before I even pressed the shutter they were done.....the male left right after, leaving the female gazing peacefully.

In the afternoon the sun came out, so I decided to take a break from house cleaning and headed down to the beach. A pair of Bald Eagle were seen soaring and scouting the beach.....

Here's the reaction you get when that happens.

By the vegetation, a Black-bellied Plover.


Hunkered down, a Snowy Plover is well camouflaged...

and so are the Ruddy Turnstones.

While watching my surroundings, a Lesser Black-backed Gull landed - sweet!

Back to the Snowy Plovers.....oh! wait a minute....

It seems we have a Piping Plover here equipped with colorful bands.

Many more Plovers were spotted - I counted 11 Snowy Plovers and 2 Piping Plovers.

On my way to retrieve my bike, a Common Ground Dove bid me farewell. A lovely day - I have been blessed!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment