Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2016

A Brant!

As the birding world goes - new reports come and go and sometimes they are really close to home....and as such.....a reliable birder reported a pair of Brant off Bunche Beach and....lucky for me....I was not working today - so, off I go....
The air is warmer today and promises of a sunny day sounds good to me. Elaine and I made our way to Bunche Beach and walked to the east end of it.

There appears to be a few birds here to keep us occupied for a bit of time.

Among them all we discovered 8 Forster Tern...

seemingly all decked out in their holiday colors of red and white.


Of course the Brown Pelicans are getting more and more colorful as the season goes.

A pair of Bald Eagle grabbed our attention with their lovely song.

And back at our group....

beyond them we spotted a few Black Scoters and a Horned Grebe in the distance...

we had been relaxing and enjoying the view when we got wind of the Brants being seen along the causeway. Well, let me tell you that it's not so easy to gather up all the equipment and practically or should I say non-practically....sprint through the wet sand as we hurried to get there before it left...and lucky for us.....

we found it! It was at a distance and with the scope we were able to find it. This is reportedly a rare find and I'm thrilled to have seen it....

well, actually felt as if I could fly with glee.

I had to go back and get my car, shortly after I joined Elaine at her house for a cool refreshment with a lovely view....and as always....good things must come to an end and....

it's time to go. What a great day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment