Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

6 Miles Cypress Slough


What a nice surprise!
On Saturday morning - July 6th - I decided to go to the 6 miles Cypress Slough. It had been at least 6 months since I visited and thinking that the boardwalk is in the shade, felt that it would be comfortable to do some birding.
I was pleasantly surprised - it was comfortable and very quiet. I believe that we crossed path with maybe 10 people in the 3 hours that we were there.
I also got to exchange bird talk with another person - who happened to be on the birdbrain listserv that I read daily. He was very instrumental in pointing out this Hairy Woodpecker - a life bird for me and apparently a rare one. Sure enough - when I filled out my ebird list when I got home, it asked me to clarify my findings - which made me wonder whether I had the correct information or not. I looked at my books and couldn't find the identification that I was looking for....that little blob of red on the top of the Hairy's head.....come to find out, it is a juvenile...ha...go figure.
There is so much to learn in the 'bird' world and it is becoming a quick passion.
Other than seeing this, I was able to capture a Carolina Wren on photo - a tricky thing to do, especially for me with my new camera....gotta love a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment