Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Freedom Park - Broad-billed Hummingbird

About a week ago I visited the Naples area in search of a hummingbird and couldn't find it - well, following that day several reports came in and many days in a row after that, making me reconsider to visit the area once again and I am glad that I did.This Broad-billed Hummingbird is usually found in desert canyons and low mountain woodlands on the west coast - it is quite accidental that he landed on our coast.
I must have been there 10 minutes when this little beauty showed up. This is an adult male and as you can see....

he has a mostly red bill and...

a blue gorget which compliments nicely with the green belly and green top. The Hummer was seen feeding on Coral Bean flowers - tubular and red - a perfect specimen for this bird.

He left for 15 minutes or so and returned to stay for perhaps 5 minutes - at which time he sat and stretched.

He was within a tree and quite a bit shaded - the sticks and lack of sunshine made it really tricky for my camera to focus....

but hey, that's okay - this photo serves as a great reminder of this specie and the first time that I set my eyes on it. I am grateful for e-bird and the Facebook pages that are dedicated to reporting bird sightings in our area.


No comments:

Post a Comment